Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Halloween '15

Bittersweet because for all of the successes and joys, felt many of the props were pretty solid, going back home...the seemingly never ending knee issue gripped me at the worst possible time.

The witches that were to be the centerpiece of the whole thing were deemed too gory, so they were omitted completely, the planned layout was basically ignored and amended when half of my fence was ripped apart by high winds the day before. So basically we had some fence and an entryway and a corridor of props leading to a very brightly lit front door.

Lots of compliments, lots of inquiries, loads...of regret and yet 200-250 kids strolled through and every one, even the teens, seemed impressed. "Best in town", thrown around repeatedly "you win Halloween", etc. Thanks to my wife, daughter and especially my son, who basically put it up while I gimped around thinking the end was near...next year will be better.

Nonetheless, Ragged Grin '15, Lake City, PA
























2 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff, Great stuff! I really love the main lantern pumpkin guy. His raised arm has such a cool shape to it. And those ram horns pumpkin pedestals are badass. Ram horns pumpkins. Awesome.
    And I got a bum knee too, always gimping around in the garage. So I feel ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so, so much WC. This was a tough year. I had massive aspirations, some pretty cool ideas...at least I felt good about them, but summer build was practically nonexistent as I had a partial mcl tear to my good knee and continued problems with my other one. So much of this kind of felt rushed and thrown together to me. The day itself being a disaster. The final display is nothing like what was intended.

    Ultimately, I shouldn't bitch, had what seemed like a steady stream from about 6:15 on to after 8 pm. and I'll never have that where we live, kind of off the beaten path. Lots of lingering folks taking pics, chatting, mayor stopped, police stopped to take pics. The Rabbit was very popular. I was told repeatedly that we were way, way, way better than the guy at the other end of the street with bought stones and a pallet tunnel. Of course in the end it isn't a contest, just about the love of the season and bringing a little magic into dull suburbia. Again, thanks so much, I appreciate you taking a look. :)

    ReplyDelete