Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Night pics lacking

If I learn anything before next year it will be how best to light haunt, how best to get decent night shots. Next year I am changing locations, setting up at my parents house in my hometown where I started doing this as a teen. A fitting end possibly.

The night shots are terrible, but here they are for better or worse...










Going to pull some of these out over summer and mess around with some different lighting until I get it right, probably add some white spots, get to know our cameras a bit better. Overall I had an idea in my head and some things went well, others did not. The "organic" or "harvest" theme is done so well by some and masterfully by a select few, I am clearly not one of them...so I am moving on. MAYBE a scarecrow next year...but definitely something completely different overall. Incidentally, the scarecrow I called "Raggs" was posted out front of the home, a ToT fell into the post it was on, knocking it over breaking half of it off, so he is just a grinning pumpkinhead now...but he did begin me on this journey and I was proud of him. Thanks.

7 comments:

  1. I noticed when taking night photos is not using the full brightness of the light you are illuminating the prop with. The camera captures as much light as possible, causing the pic to be brighter and more flooded with the light. Takes practice. That's why I am glad for the invention of the digital camera. Don't like the pic, erase and try again. You wouldn't believe how many pics I have taken and deleted.
    And 1st rule of thumb, use a tripod with the camera timer. Take it from me....Mr. shaky hands. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man, I'm going to practice my ass off. Too much work to not be able to capture it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the same boat with my haunt. A street light at the end of my driveway causes so many problems with mood lighting. I set up and tore down colored lights more than I can count weeks leading up to the 31st. Nothing worked. So I just worked with making better witch jars. Feather, moss, creepy cloth, and gorilla glue are my favorite ingredients now. And more camera/tripod practice for 2014 for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha... yeah, so ridiculous. Went to grab tripod... Which I picked up specifically... and my wife had loaned it to her sister. So next year, hide the tripod.

    ReplyDelete